A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Portable Music Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Portable Music Players   Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:34 am

I'm looking for some advice on which to buy. I currently have an 8GB 1st Gen iPod Touch which is getting a little outdated. Not to mention I can't fit all my music on it. So the minimum size I want is 16GB. I only really want it for music and some videos. That's why iPod Touch's don't really appeal to me anymore as I don't use the apps, infact I have none on it atm as they take up too much room.

Basic Requirements:

• At least 16GB
  • Under 200
  • Primarily for music and some videos
  • Preferably touch screen

Really what I want is good sound quality and ease of use. What would anyone recommend? Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 am

I have been using my iPod video 30g for a long time now and really love it! I have 20 gigs of music on it and 2 seasons of Futurama.

I think they quit making my version though, I think now you have to get the iPod classic 80g

oh and I am sure some one is going to jump on and tell me that the iPod really sucks and the zune or some obscure thing is actually better and that iTunes sucks, but it is great for a non audiophile, so easy to use and has so many accessories built just for it (my iPod connects directly to my car!)
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah I have no problems with iPods or iTunes. I'm not sure what else other than an iPod Touch has a touch screen though. I can't remember about the new Zunes. Personally I would just settle for a regular screen if you're only using it for music and videos. You'll get more bang (gigs) for your buck.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for thereplies guys. I'm happy enough with iTunes and my iPod. I just think I'm paying more money for iPod though as you get so many extras which I don't really use. Is there anything out there which just plays raw music at a great sound and is easy to navigate. Battery life also comes into it, all the extras on the iPod really make it go down quite quickly to me.

I've had a quick browse atound the internet and the Creative Zen X-Fi 2 and the Philips GoGear Opus.

God this is tricky!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:53 pm

my sisters just gave me my new player for my birthday and it's awesome.

Model: Philipps GoGear Ariaz
Also usable for videos and pics
no touchscreen
audio quality > awesome

it's only got 4 gb, but that's fine with me, cause if i wanted to put all my music in there, i'd have one with 100gb capacity. so i just put on my fav songs and some of my favourite musicvideos and that's enough for me.

costs: about 80 euro

if u want one with more capacity, that should be possible.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:07 am

Given that you claimed you want to spend under 200, I assume you are British and can use spotify? I've heard their app is pretty decent if you are consuming a lot of new music. Just something to consider before you decide to go away from the itouch line. And if your in the US instead, the Pandora app alone makes having apps worth while =P.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:36 am

CluckyB wrote:
Given that you claimed you want to spend under 200, I assume you are British and can use spotify? I've heard their app is pretty decent if you are consuming a lot of new music. Just something to consider before you decide to go away from the itouch line. And if your in the US instead, the Pandora app alone makes having apps worth while =P.

But as far as portability, those apps aren't going to be reliable everywhere you go. Especially if you're not in a big city, there's not going to be wifi everywhere for you to use.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:39 am

simo wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

But as far as portability, those apps aren't going to be reliable everywhere you go. Especially if you're not in a big city, there's not going to be wifi everywhere for you to use.

True dat for Pandora, but I had heard the Spotify app had a fairly large cache so that you could download songs and access them offline.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 am

Oh, that's awesome if it's true. Can't wait for the US to get Spotify.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:01 am

Go with the Creative! I've got one and I'm really happy with it. It's great to have an extra memory disc.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 am

After reading reviews a lot of people are saying that the Zen is quite difficult to navigate as the screen isn't that sensitive. How do you find it?

Also what's the battery life on it like?
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am

Sorry but I can't help you there. I didn't see the "2", mine is just called X-Fi and it's not touch.
Creative is usually of good quality but I can't help you with more than that, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portable Music Players   

Back to top Go down

Portable Music Players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1