A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 am

Quote :
Tapping and tapping.... Drums, guitars, bass, guitars, vocals... Done. Now onto harmonies etc...

Quote :
This is alex using a frantone hi ball, she's a good lady... This Is Benny explaining something...

Quote :
Ok actually that was Benny in that last one, here's alex and the frantone...

Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:25 pm

Palmer89 wrote:
Quote :
Tapping and tapping.... Drums, guitars, bass, guitars, vocals... Done. Now onto harmonies etc...

Quote :
This is alex using a frantone hi ball, she's a good lady... This Is Benny explaining something...

Quote :
Ok actually that was Benny in that last one, here's alex and the frantone...

anyone else having a problem seeing the pics in that post? if so, I can post them

Last edited by steady now steady now on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 pm

I can't see shit
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

here are the pics to go with the tweets re-posted by Palmer89

Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm

I did post them...odd that they didn't show up, cheers anyway.

Seem to be progressing quickly.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:01 pm

The Recording Studio...fire up the gravy....

In a couple hours I'll jump on the train and go back to the studio
we've been working at for the last couple weeks. It's been an
experience thus far, and we're all really excited about how everything
is shaping up. Take by take I'm hearing a more completed version and
getting happier with the result.

The
mood is good, and to boot, somebody there makes coffee all the time.
There is literally a fresh pot every time I want a cup, that shit is
serious.

If I keep writing, I'll divulge secrets I don't want
to. Because I talk too much. But take it from me, if you haven't seen
Ted Hutt dancing like an early 80's British ska kid while Alex R.
lights incense and harnesses his guitar power animal. Well, then you
just haven't seen everything. Even if you thought you did.

Oh, and Brian is adding teeth, and I'm sadly subtracting.

Cheers!
Benny
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:11 pm

This album will be genius
Back to top Go down
stayhungry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
i feel like this could be the record where the come on their own

i hope so. but at the same time i hope people still appreciate all of their influences. it's what made gaslight what they are now
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm

does anybody know how to make those countdown things on forums
there was one on BTX for the WOAD tour and it was awesome
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 pm

good idea...

Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 am

^THANKS!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 am

from Paste magazine (for the full article/interview, see the thread at http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/interviews-f14/new-article-interview-in-paste-magazine-new-album-etc-t1646.htm#21469 )

[CAUTION: The Gaslight Anthem posted the following tweet on 20 Feb. regarding this article: "We're still looking for the song about a doctor or a baseball player... hmm, must be on a different band's record." So please read with caution.]

The band’s forthcoming third studio album, American Slang (out June 15 on SideOneDummy), includes songs about someone who is not “the greatest baseball player in the world” and “a doctor that cured cancer.”

American Slang is just what we do. That’s who we are,” Fallon says. “You’re presented with this American Dream and all these American possibilities—and then there’s the reality of what actually happens with your life.”

American Slang speaks to what Fallon calls “surviving within your circumstances,” a lesson that the album takes to heart. Now two weeks into recording, The Gaslight Anthem has been experimenting gleefully on a collection of old amps to see which childhood favorites they can emulate. “It’s really exciting, because you’re finding out the little secrets of the records you loved growing up,” Fallon says.

The end result takes cues from Tom Waits, The Clash and The Supremes, and most of all from earlier Clapton and Rolling Stones output—British blues and rock records inspired by American ones. “It’s almost like we’re bouncing it back this time,” Fallon says. “This [record] is really the one where we said, ‘All right, well, we’ve got our influences. They’ll speak naturally, but what do we have to say on our own? What does it feel like to put on our own shoes and clothes? What do we sound like, and what’s our story?’”

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:44 pm

I am really really interested in the whole "not the best baseball player in the world" and "doctor that cured cancer" concept. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:36 am

new tweet from gaslight_anthem:

"Pretty excited, it's starting to sound like a record!"

Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Man these tweets and pictures are killing me.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 am

"We're still looking for the song about a doctor or a baseball player... hmm, must be on a different band's record."
9 minutes ago from web

twitter.com/gaslight_anthem
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 am

steph wrote:
"We're still looking for the song about a doctor or a baseball player... hmm, must be on a different band's record."
9 minutes ago from web

twitter.com/gaslight_anthem

Interesting. I wonder if whoever is updating the gaslight twitter feed is just messing with us, or if Paste for some reason misquoted Brian.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:14 am

So the last article was a complete and total lie?

I guess it wouldn't be the first time *coughnewyorktimesarticleaboutbrianfallonsoloalbumcough*
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:26 am

Well, I knew the NYT article was a fake. It didn't offer any real information, just stuff about his solo myspace and then making garbage up about those were for a solo record. We knew they weren't, so it was easy to see through that. Making up quotes is a different matter entirely.

P.S. The doctor that cured cancer wasn't that great a concept anyway. Maybe I would have been proved wrong, but it sounds hokey.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 am

Jlblue wrote:
So the last article was a complete and total lie?

I guess it wouldn't be the first time *coughnewyorktimesarticleaboutbrianfallonsoloalbumcough*

This is very troubling indeed. After all, SideOneDummy themselves link to the article from their Gaslight Anthem page [ http://sideonedummy.com/bands/the-gaslight-anthem ], so it's not as if it had come from some spoof website. I certainly posted it on here in good faith.

That said, the two song topics did strike me as odd at the time, as Brian had previously indicated that the record would be more personal.

Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 am

It's probably a misquote or something pulled out of context.
Brian probably said that he isn't a doctor or a famous baseball player, just a regular American citizen without having it too good or having it too bad. He said things like that in past interviews. Kinda stroks with this quote from the paste interview.

"“American Slang is just what we do. That’s who we are,” Fallon
says. “You’re presented with this American Dream and all these American
possibilities—and then there’s the reality of what actually happens
with your life.”
Back to top Go down
HelloMyNameIsDrBloodborne
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Thinking back on it, it did seem weird to me that the article went straight from saying the album was about toiling "everymen" to talking about baseball players and doctors. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:21 pm

TGA are recording at the Magic Shop Studios in New York. Here are some pics of the studio: http://www.magicshopny.com/mstour.html

One page on that is worth exploring, if you want a laugh, is http://www.magicshopny.com/msengineertips.html . Click on 1 through 24.

talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Quote :

Does anyone know if this is referencing a specific band? As of now I cant think of anything, but that doesnt mean much.
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 pm

^ i doubt it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'   

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem title new record 'American Slang'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next