A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

TGA Communications

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: TGA Communications   Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:21 am

Ok, for once Iíll moan about something, but with the best intentions (and if I get my facts wrong, please let me know and Iíll revise the post accordingly).

Iím not happy with TGA communications. There are too may channels, but still not enough info. Neither are those channels used effectively.

Gaslightanthem.com has regular news updates, such as on tour dates. One can also sign up to a newsletter. The only post I had via that channel was my sign up verification email back in April.

On TGAís MySpace site there are regular updates on tour dates and their MySpace blog has occasional entries.

The TGA page on SideOneDummy also has regular news updates, incl. tour info, but mainly press coverage related.

Brianís Twitter started out as a guitar/amp Twitter, but now features general TGA stuff as well.

As for the TGAís Street Team, who have MySpace and Facebook pages, news updates are mainly tour related.

So whatís my problem?

Firstly, despite these several channels, there is still news that doesnít appear on any of them, even something as major as winning the Kerrang award, nor are all new releases announced (Iím thinking mainly of vinyl here).

Secondly, I canít understand why TGA donít make use of the newsletter, which they have already set up, to provide a single, reliable source of TGA news.

At present, I rely on DimestoreSaints for what I really need to know. I know that moves were afoot for a greater involvement of TGA in this forum, but nothing seems to have come of that as yet.

I am seriously thinking of starting a TGA newsletter which would combine the news taken from all the existing channels.

Or maybe Iím just feeling grumpy this morning.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:28 am

Certainly don't hear alot from the guys news wise.

Latest update on the site was the gig they couldn't play a month back.

Problem is there isn't a huge amount of news is there really, touring and kerrang award aside what else has really happend?
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:22 pm

What do you want?

They're out there touring, writing new songs, doing tv shows, doing interview after interview. There's no news out there that we absolutely need to know that hasn't come up about 5 times in interviews across the web. No news = very little point in a newsletter.

As for not announcing the Kerrang awards, I'd say that's a bit of two things. 1. They don't care that much. And 2. They don't wanna blow their own trumpets.
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Agreed.

There really isn't alot of news, the only news that would appear interesting is any new album updates, but other than that it's just gig reviews and touring.

Hopefully when the guys come off tour and get started on a new album in a few months/early next year we'll get more info.

Times like that when Twitter comes in useful.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Daire wrote:
What do you want? [...] No news = very little point in a newsletter.

It depend on what you consider news. There are constant updates with new info (ie. news) across the various channels I listed, but no coherent approach to disseminating that news. The Court Tavern show is a case in point. I don't think it appeared on any of them. Brian didn't even twitter it. Also why update a site that includes a newsletter and not also send the update via that newsletter. I basically prefer getting my news in my inbox to having to look for it all over.

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:38 am

Daire wrote:
What do you want?

They're out there touring, writing new songs, doing tv shows, doing interview after interview. There's no news out there that we absolutely need to know that hasn't come up about 5 times in interviews across the web. No news = very little point in a newsletter.

As for not announcing the Kerrang awards, I'd say that's a bit of two things. 1. They don't care that much. And 2. They don't wanna blow their own trumpets.

Exactly.

However, I do believe Steady may have a point; I find out most of the news from this forum. While I do not for one minute expect the guys in TGA to be involved- they're in a band, not PR- I think what Steady has once again brought to light is the deficeincy in the street team. If the Street Team was more active it could perhaps help fill the void as regards communications and Gaslight Anthem news.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
However, I do believe Steady may have a point; I find out most of the news from this forum. While I do not for one minute expect the guys in TGA to be involved- they're in a band, not PR- I think what Steady has once again brought to light is the deficeincy in the street team. If the Street Team was more active it could perhaps help fill the void as regards communications and Gaslight Anthem news.

Well, someone from the Street Team, called 'Jakester', started a thread here the other day as a guest ... ('Free Gaslight Anthem download').

As for TGA not blowing their own trumpet, that's fine. They are genuinely humble, but I'm surprised their label didn't either.

steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 am

I just had a look at the TGA contact info on their SideOneDummy page ... it's blank. Not good. I hope TGA or SOD are reading this.

www.sideonedummy.com/bands_contact.php?band_name=The_Gaslight_Anthem

At least I can't see it.

Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Palmer89 wrote:
http://www.gaslightanthem.com/site/contact

Isn't it all there?

Yes, it is, but that's not quite the point. It looks shoddy if the label has a contact page for the band and there's nothing in there. Like having a site newsletter that never sends out the news you featured on that same site ...

I remember a PC game which got a really bad review not least because all it said in the 'Read Me' file was "put stuff here" but the developers never bothered.

tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:12 pm

IDK, I'm used to having to dig for my music info. I've never followed a band that handed ALL news wrapped up nice and neat to me on a regular basis. Besides, I think it's kind of fun to find news and talk about it in places like this. I don't think any of us really feel out of the loop or anything!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
mademoiselle_k
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:06 pm

I kinda understand where Alexander comes from. Regarding the UK tour, it took me ages before having a decent answer, and it came from this forum, by another poster. (thanks KittyKat!) it had been pretty unnerving to float in a sea of uncertainty (!) and nothing / no one is 100% reliable.

I'd expect SideOneDummy to only do press coverage as their website also includes the other bands they have signed, which are just as in demand as TGA (gogol bordello, flogging molly, and their new protegee, audra mae). That's the job of a record company to do "official" news such as a tour and press coverage, even if the new website format deleted the news archive...

It's also fine if they don't really feel like doing regular PR, which can be boring and can easily put a spin on everything. I've been working as a tour manager and grew to dislike PR's ("ok, this isn't good. Let's see how we can turn it into something good." No! tell shit like it is, people ain't stupid.) but considering SOD is a very independant label and that they purposefully refused to sign on a major, I wish we did have a contact that could answer questions / give us some related news. I don't think the guys check their Twitter regularly, and it would quickly have the same problem as their MySpace (ie. being flooded with messages).

Technically - or at least it was from my understanding - the sole purpose of a street team is to garner following and expand promotion techniques that would not be considered by regular PRs (gonzo leafleting/stickering, that kind of thing) and isn't necessarily meant to be a link between the band and the fanbase. It seems like there is some sort of gap to be filled, unless fans are indeed left to dig things out / go ask questions by themselves (how?) like tdawg said. I do wish someone would post regular updates, no matter how mundane, ... I don't know.
Back to top Go down
http://semiautonomouscollective.wordpress.com
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:37 pm

This is a problem that is not just TGA related. So many bands start by making a myspace/facebook/twitter page and think they will constantly update it... this usually lasts a week, maybe two. Then you start getting the generic "Wow, I haven't updated in forever, but I am going to do a better job from now on" post.

and before you think I am just blaming bands, I am equally guilty. I once tried to maintain the Audio master list, the ebay list, track down all TGA interviews through Google News etc... I did most for about a month or two, but then it just got to be too much.

Bands need to hire a full time person to do there web stuff. I assume most don't because A. they think it should be so easy that they can do it themselves. B. they sign to a label that has someone that does websites for the bands

the problem with A. is like I said earlier, it is easy at the begining but it quickly grows out of control to do as a passive thing. The problem with B. is they usually have 1 guy that does the website for ALL of the bands on the label.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:01 pm

mademoiselle_k wrote:
I kinda understand where Alexander comes from. Regarding the UK tour, it took me ages before having a decent answer, and it came from this forum, by another poster. (thanks KittyKat!) it had been pretty unnerving to float in a sea of uncertainty (!) and nothing / no one is 100% reliable.

not sure what you mean by "regarding the UK tour," whether it was about whether or not they were doing a UK tour or something more specific, but i think the problem partially is that people expect their news instantly! these days, what with the internet and twitter and such...
like i said, not sure exactly what you meant, but as long as you got an answer somewhere, i dont really see where the problem is. i understand that part of being a successful band is dealing with the business side, and that includes maintaining the band's website and such, but i'd rather know the guys were concerned with maintaining the actual band and writing new music and maybe even having a little time off for themselves, than making sure they were in constant contact with anyone who has a question for them. besides we've got a pretty decent place here for exchanging info with other fans and finding out what's going on with the band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TGA Communications   

Back to top Go down

TGA Communications
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1