A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey folks.

Like most people around here i love listening to punk and ska.
but i also love to listen to bands from the "Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal" corner

who else shares that musical interest with me? what bands do you like and which have you already seen alive?

so i am going to start Smile

hardcore and postcore:
alexisonfire
eternal tango
a static lullaby
atreyu
funeral for a friend
senses fail

hardrock:
stone sour
monster magnet
gotthard
pain

grunge:
seether
bush
breaking benjamin
crossfade
soundgarden
pearl jam

progressive (rock and metal):
dredg
tool
rishloo
fair to midland
muse
the mayan factor
screenager
explosions in the sky

metal:
rammstein
tool
deftones
eluveitie
volbeat
amorphis
as i lay dying
all that remains

i have seen alive: alexisonfire, tool, amorphis, volbeat, dredg, muse, screenager, deftones
so there are still a lot of bands that i have to see at least once

bye from austria
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Let's see... I like Funeral for a Friend, Tool, Muse, Pearl Jam, Bush, Soundgarden...

The others, I really don't care for or have heard of. But I do think it's odd to group all these bands into a broad category.... and I take issue with calling Breaking Benjamin "grunge," haha.

And since you like Progressive and Metal, have you heard Dream Theater?
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 pm

you need a lesson on your hardcore bro. hardcore does not equal heavy emo, like the bands you mentioned. hardcore equals Minor Threat, Black Flag, H2O, Sick of It All, Gorilla Biscuits, Adolescents, old T.S.O.L., Bad Brains, The Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, even Paint It Black
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm reluctant to define rules for what defines a genre of music, but JR's right. Part of it too might just be a cultural thing. I mean, we're talking about a different country and a different language. I'm sure there's a bit lost in translation here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:32 am

@ tdawg
of course have i heard of dream theater, but what can i say, they are not my type

the reason why i put all those types of genres in one thread, is because i don't think there are a lot of people around here that like that type of music.
and with sometimes it is really hard to define a band's genre, because there are a lot of bands that can't be exactly classified .

if you would'nt call breaking benjamin grunge, what would you call it else?

@ jukebox romeo
about hardcore: that's just one type of music i listen to and i must admit that do not know much about it by now, coz that came to me just a little time ago, but those are the bands i recently listen to.

by the way, a lot of the bands you mentioned don't say anything to me (dead kennedys of ourse Wink), but i guess most of them are us-american bands.
i guess you don't know a lot of the bands i mentioned, because many of them are fom europe...

and my apologee: i am really trying my best to discuss the topics with you all, but sometimes it is really hard to me, for english is not my mother tongue and i am one of the few members here, who are not from the us, the uk, ireland, australia etc.
one last thing: even though we are all from western countries, the people think and feel differently about many things. but that is the good thing about this forum, we don't only share our passion for tga, but we can also discuss things that we don't have in common.

so i hope i gave you the answers you needed...
michael
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:17 am

wow that just shows cultural differences in terms of hardcore. while i could see the bands you listed being in some distant vain of hardcore over here in the states, its actually considered a new type of emo over here. check out the bands jukebox entered cause they are some great gateways into US hardcore. here are some bands if you had any interest in checking them out:

ceremony, comadre, trash talk, converge, mother of mercy, touche amore, la quiete (italian hardcore), mind eraser, have heart, brainworms...
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm

@ colmillionaire

yeah that's what i found out too, the classifications of music here in europe and overseas are quiet different...

but i will check out the bands you told me
tnx, michael
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 pm

no, i've heard of all the bands you've put under "hardcore" except for Eternal Tango, it's just that to me, those bands owe a lot more to metal, progressive, and emo than punk. and punk took the term hardcore way before those bands were around

to label those bands as just "hardcore" is wrong, because Atreyu and Minor Threat (the original hardcore band) have very little in common, except that you could say the music is heavy. if you're gonna call those bands hardcore, they need to be called "hardcore ____", like "hardcore emo". a description of just "hardcore" brings to mind punk more than emo
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Even the word "indie" seems to mean entirely different things in the US and UK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal   

Back to top Go down

Hardcore, Hardrock, Grunge, Progressive, Metal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1